16300 Mack Ave
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48210
Phone: 313-881-8500
Fax: 313.881.7653

This Book of Memories memorial website is designed to be a permanent tribute paying tribute to the life and memory of Jerome Stonick. It allows family and friends a place to re-visit, interact with each other, share and enhance this tribute for future generations. We are both pleased and proud to provide the Book of Memories to the families of our community.

Thank you.

Select Candle

Obituary for Jerome Stonick

Jerome Stonick
Jerome Adam Stonick
Born 11/5/37 passed into a new peaceful life 7/20/16 surrounded by family and friends. He leaves behind two daughters, Susan and Sandra, two grandchildren, Austin and Audrey, and two sisters, Maryann and Judy. Also many caring nieces and nephews.
Jerry was born an athlete. At age nine and ten he played baseball in the playground hear his home with teenagers. They put him in the outfield because he could run fast and throw far. While a student at Holy Redeemer High School, he played basketball and his baseball team won the state championship.
He was on the rowing team while attending Wayne State and was on the Detroit River at sunrise daily. He ran the Free Press marathons on Belle Isle and reached his goal of running the Boston Marathon. He ran Saturday mornings with the Motor City Striders on Belle Isle. He was always ready to support and coach other runners. Cycling was another love. He spend many an hour riding on Belle Isle, Metro Beach and other paths. He adopted the nickname Geranimo which means ‘fearless’. It also means Jerome in Spanish.
After graduation, Jerry joined the army and served as an MP in Korea after the war. He then worked on his degree at Wayne State. He worked for a few years at Ford Motor Company. When John F. Kennedy created the Peace Corp, Jerry heard the call and worked in Peru for two years building infrastructure using labor materials indigenous to the area. The locals taught him how to make adobe bricks. When he returned to the states he joined HUD working in urban renewal. He retired after 30 years. He always lived a healthy lifestyle, so it seemed unfair when he was struck with many health problems. Little by little he had to give up many things he loved to do. A few days before he died, he told me that he still went to Belle Isle and would sit on a large rock and just look at the waves on the river. So on August 21st at 10:00 am the family is planning a small memorial service on his beloved Belle Isle, meeting at the Dossin Museum, where we will spread his ashes on the land and water he loved.
Order Flowers
Recently Shared Condolences
Recently Shared Stories
Recently Shared Photos